Sunday, February 12, 2017

FABRIC STASH - WEEK 6, 2017 (2/12/17)

Used this Period: 0 yards 
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  10.67 yards
Added Year to Date:  3 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2017:   7.67 yards

 

Nothing added, nothing used that can be counted.  But I have been spending a lot of time in the quilting studio!  I finished embroidering all the shoe blocks for the February challenge--whew!  One of those shoes had almost 32,000 stitches.  I thought I would do a 4x5 setting, so I needed 20 designs and had 18 new designs that had not been incorporated into a quilt yet.  I found one single design that I had not used and followed the color suggestions and hated it.  It was a "sewing" shoe and has a tape measure ruffled around the edge--and the suggested color of the tape measure was "cognac."  Looking up that color on the internet shows this:

 






Tell me the last time you saw a sewing tape measure that color!!  Anyway I was not happy with their color choices, so I decided to use 2 designs that were used in previous quilts--designs I love.  Finally finished 20 designs to use and started thinking about how I wanted to put it together--and decided to do a Triple Irish Chain for alternating blocks--and that meant I only needed 18 blocks--sigh!!  I now have 2 extra blocks on my yellow background that I need to use for pillows or shams!  I have 4 of the TIC blocks made--will continue working on them this week.


It's been a busy week.  We went to lunch at the nearby Senior Center on Thursday and was met with a prize of chips and salsa--I won the Super Bowl prediction contest from the previous week!!  I could not stop laughing--DH and another "football knowledgeable" man had their prediction sheets done and were discussing all the ins and outs of the upcoming game--and I had not even started.  I picked Brady and the Patriots (nearly everyone else picked the Falcons!) and then had to ask the guys some questions to fill in a couple more blanks--and then did a guess on the final score.  Guess it's better to be lucky than knowledgeable!  (I cheer the Broncos not only when they make a touchdown, but on multiple replays of the same play!)


Our little town had their Winter Jubilee this weekend.  We drove down our one "main" street on Friday to look at the snow sculptures.  The town provides participating businesses with a "cube" of snow (use plywood sheets to form the cubes which are all the same size) and the businesses then make a sculpture and use spray paint to color it.  Tack & Treasure won last year by sculpting a horse head on each side of the cube; this year they made a complete horse standing in a pool of water with a fish jumping out of the water.  The fitness center made a barbell with hands on the "pipe" between the bells--it was good.  I really liked the hotdog in a bun with a "can" of Pepsi.  The town did a "bonfire" with a marshmallow dangling over it.  The tackle store had a shark jumping out of water with a frogman climbing out of its jaw!  There were so many good sculptures--it will be interesting to see which one won the prize.  


Temperatures have climbed above freezing this week and the snow turned to rain.  Our road up the mountain was an ice chute, and all the parking lots were ice rinks.  The snow became very unstable, and the Canyon was closed for a couple of days because of numerous avalanches.  One experienced snowmobiler was caught in an avalanche and died--just really unstable snow all over.  The snow level has really gone down with the rain and warmer temps.


And that's what is happening in my little studio and on No-Name Mountain!





No comments:

Post a Comment