Saturday, February 6, 2016

FABRIC STASH - WEEK 6, 2016 (2/7/16)

Used this Period: 32.5 yards
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  75.56 yards
Added Year to Date:  1.75 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2016:   73.81 yards

 

Do any of you have fabric just for "petting?"  I find that I have some fabric that I like so much that I just want to use it for a "special" project--so I pull it out of the fabric cabinet, look at it and touch it, and then put it back--waiting for that "special" project to come along.  It's almost as if I don't think they will make more fabric that I like that much--wrong!  Well, this week I decided to use those special flannel fabrics that I have been saving for "some day."  So, I pulled all those pretty flannel prints and started making "double" flannel receiving blankets--the print on one side and a coordinating flannel on the other side. 

 

Three or four years ago, I went to a garage sale where she was selling garbage bags of color coordinated fabric (I think the lady and her mother had done a lot of crafts); a friend had called and told me that the lady was selling them for $8 a bag.  I bought a bag of blues and a bag of pinks (flannel and cottons) for $5 each--and still have a lot of it in my stash.  One of the pink flannels is a cute pink elephant with daisies.  I made 3 receiving blankets with that print--and still have 4 3/4 yards left.  But I used all my flannel prints except 2--I need to get a coordinating flannel that will look good with those prints.  And now I have a stack of 11 double, nice-sized (3 are 42x45-47; 8 are 36x42) receiving blankets that I will take to Turning Point (22.5 yards used).  Turning Point has a point system--if the girl will take parenting classes, for instance, they accumulate points that can be used to "purchase" baby items.  

Then, the hospital in a neighboring town is having a sew-in to make blankets, burp cloths, bibs, etc. to give to new mothers.  I'm not going to the sew-in but I am going to donate fabric--some Soft & Cuddly that I bought to make crib sheets for my daughter-in-law (she sent me Minkee instead), and smaller flannel left-overs that can be used for burp cloths & bibs.  Yea!!  All of this (10 yards gifted) is really freeing up some space in my fabric cabinet!!  But I need to do a lot more!!


 

 

3 comments:

  1. Great way to get rid of fabric you aren't fond of anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place that is! I don't have a lot of flannel, I might just have to find me some.

    Yeah, that mmovie was a bust for sure.......and Frank swears it had a 3.5 star rating somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great usage of your stash and welcoming to those that receive the blankets too. Your stash numbers are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete