Saturday, April 4, 2015

STASH REPORT - WEEK 14, 2015 (4/4/15)

Used this Period: 5.68 yards
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date: 59.33 yards 
Added Year to Date: 9 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2015:  50.33 yards

 

Another Sally King shoe quilt finished--on an aqua background this time.  That is my last set of embroidered shoes that were ready to be made into a top--yea!  This quilt came together so nicely--I didn't even have to square the alternating blocks after they were sewn!  I did run out of the light aqua marble fabric--I had to sew together some 3.5" scraps to make the 2 last sides for 1 block!  I normally make my binding from the border fabric--but only have 10" left so will have to use something else.  I don't have the backing or binding made yet--I think that is 2 or 3 quilt tops that lack a backing.

 

Checkmate

April Showers


Black Velvet

Harvest Time

Masked Ball



I loved making the shoe quilts--there is such detail and innovation in the designs.  

 

I always read all the stash entries each week--but sometimes wonder how people get their yardage count!  This shoe quilt measures 64x88, and I kept accurate notes on the yardage used--and it was only 5 2/3 yard (backing not made).  Some quilts that are about the same size are listed as using 2-3 times as much!  I admit that I use all usable scraps (for instance, I used the ends of the rows I cut for my embroidery squares for the 4.5" pieces on the alternating blocks), and any small scraps left I cut into 2/2.5/3/3.5/4/4.5-inch squares (per Bonnie Hunter) for a some-day scrap quilt.  And I know that if a quilt has a lot of little pieces, it will use more fabric.  Oh, well...just wondering. 

 

I finally started quilting some tops--boy, that was like pulling teeth!  I was dragging my feet because I didn't like the lap quilt that was on the longarm, partially done.  But I finished it (still don't really like it!)--didn't do the heavy custom quilting I had planned--but it's DONE!  Then I made another back and loaded another Christmas panel with borders added--and finished quilting it with clamshells.  And I really like it!  So now I have 3 quilts (1 large, 2 lap-size) on the log railing upstairs, waiting to have the binding hand-sewn to the back.  And I will make a backing for yet another Christmas lap quilt (panel with borders added) and get it on the longarm--perhaps on Monday.  I'm hoping to get 10 quilts quilted this month--only 8 more to go!  I will count the backing fabric for these lap quilts next week.

 

DH has the wooden (all different kinds of wood) Easter eggs ready to hide--outside, if the weather allows.  Then I'm supposed to find them--and get to eat the contents.  Of course, the eggs only hold 4-5 M&M's each!  The last time we did this (this is what happens when the grandchildren are so far away--Grandpa hides eggs for Grandma to find!), there was still a lot of snow on the ground and it was easier to see the wooden eggs on the white snow.  It's a good thing DH knows how many eggs he hides and where he hides them!  And wouldn't you know that I finally started on the weight-loss project I've been putting off!  I wonder how many M&M's make 1 point on Weight Watchers?

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You have me curious about your eggs. Id like to see them...lol. Sounds like you are getting a lot of quilts done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see a picture of my Easter egg bowl at the following link:

      http://tetonnuggets.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-easter-egg-bowl.html

      It now has more "eggs" and more varieties of wood represented. I think I may need a larger bowl!

      Delete