Saturday, April 18, 2015

STASH REPORT - WEEK 16, 2015 (4/18/15)

Used this Period: 0 yards
Added this Period: 13.67 yards

Used year to Date: 68.67 yards 
Added Year to Date: 22.67 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2015:  46 yards

 

Whoops--I'm heading the wrong way again!!  I went to JoAnn's when we were in the nearby "big city" this week, and things just jumped into my cart!  They were having their Daffodil Dash days, so I got some good deals.  I bought a yard of a border print--didn't need it, don't have project picked out for it--but I want to use it for a mitered border in some future quilt.  I bought 2 yards of a red fabric with gold metallic swirl feathers; it will be used in the MOY boy & girl machine embroidered quilts.  I bought about 1 3/4 yard (end of bolt) of a beautiful burgundy "Zen Garden"--again, just because!  And then I purchased the backing for my roly-poly penguin quilt--it matches the background fabric on the front.  I don't have any gray in my stash and wanted a gray to go with the top.  Perhaps I can get the backing made this week so I can make my net decrease numbers look better.  And another "just because"--a brown floral that was $2.50/yard, marked down from $10.99 and enough for a quilt backing.  Sure messed up my decrease numbers!

 

When I got home, I started pulling fabrics for the MOY embroidered blocks--I thought I could use a gold as an accent strip (the background on the embroidered blocks is an off-white and I don't have any more of that fabric) between the two reds I now had chosen.  That didn't seem to work very well, so I went to my Christmas tub and pulled a red/white stripe.  Unfortunately, there isn't enough of it left to do the 2 quilts, so...  I finally changed the original red I was working with and now have 3 reds that I am happy with.  Whew!  I have been searching for a long time to find fabrics to finish those embroidered blocks.  Anyway, I may get started on them this coming week.

 

I took apart the Christmas blocks I had made into a lap quilt as the alternating blocks made it too dark.  I hate to rip things out, but the Christmas printed Santa blocks are too cute to make a quilt I don't like.  I will pull Christmas fabrics and make light/dark Log Cabin blocks to alternate with the 6 printed blocks.  That's on the near future to-do list.

 

In the past week I've finished quilting another Christmas lap quilt on the longarm.  (Can you tell I really like all-things Christmas?!)  The binding is done and the quilt is hanging on the log railing; I just want to look at it for a time before it joins the other 4!  I used the CL clamshell board again--I'm getting pretty good at spacing the rows on that after 5 lap quilts!  (That "hairy" arm is a plush bear that is holding the border onto the railing!)  I have a scrappy quilt on the longarm now and have one row quilted--ruler work and Terry Twist.  I really struggled in marking the ruler work blocks until I finally used my head and figured out an easy way to mark them uniformly.  Maybe I can get a couple of rows quilted tomorrow--I have 6 rows left plus borders. 

Christmas lap quilt

I raked up the twigs/limbs/leaves from our "thicket" in front.  I didn't get it done last year and didn't want to wait until tick season to do it.  It looks very nice--and it's done!  I need to move some of the ground cover to fill in some spots--so much to do.  We have decided to get a concrete mower-edge curbing put around the flower beds in front and on each end of the house, but that won't get done until May, when it is warmer.  We've talked about doing that for a few years and now will finally get it done.  It will make mowing easier and will look nice; the rocks we now have there will be added to the "dry riverbed" channel that catches runoff from the roof in the front.

 

And that's been my week--my longarm UFO stack is under 100 now!



5 comments:

  1. Even though you added fabric, your number still look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - your numbers are still rocking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your numbers are still real good! I thought I had a bunch of quilts waiting to be quilted, but I am happy to say, you put me to shame ;-)
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great numbers out so far this year. I agree, I have almost that many UFOs waiting to be finished, but not that many of mine waiting to be quilted, thank goodness.!! You will get there one day.

    ReplyDelete