Sunday, January 12, 2014

STASH REPORT - Week 2, 2014

Used this Period: 42 yards
Added this Period: 20.47 yards

Used year to Date:  42 yards
Added Year to Date: 20.47 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2014: 21.53 yards

 

Well, that was a dramatic fall off the wagon--and I just went to JoAnn's to buy the background fabric so I could finish that scrappy Triple Irish Chain (I needed five 2-inch squares!) and came out with 20.47 yards of fabric!  Wow!  That's more fabric than I bought in 2013.  I got a quarter yard of the background fabric--I thought about only getting 1/8th yard, but thought I might want to also use it for a narrow border so got a bit more.  That was my thinking before I found the other bargains and loaded my cart!  The rest of my purchases were either $2.50 or $3/yard--but I should only have gotten the patriotic cut and the leaf design fabric (which was their expensive yardage with an excellent hand).  Oh, well, I'm back on my fabric diet! 

 

Scrappy 16-patch/pinwheel:  I guesstimated that I used 14 yards on this quilt; pieced blocks were sewn from 3-inch squares.  The finished top measures 81x81; the backing/binding are made.  This quilt was finished on 1/9/14.

 

Scrappy Triple Irish Chain:  Again, because I was quilting from scraps, I guesstimated on the yardage used.  Because I was working with 2-inch squares, I counted 16 (total) yards used; the completed top measures 69x90.  I know I used a total of 8 yards for the backing/binding/borders as this was from yardage, not cut scraps.  This quilt was finished on 1/11/14.

 

Scrappy Quilt #2 (because I don't know how to name this one!):  I guesstimated that I used 12 yards on this top; it used 3.5-inch squares and HSTs.  The completed top measures 67x84.  I used a 5-yard piece for the backing; I hope to be able to make the binding from the edges of the backing.  This quilt was finished on 1/11/14 (I had everything done except the backing--easy to sew one seam and trim!!).

 

I have 2-3 more scrappy patterns I would like to make, but think I will take a break from them and perhaps embroider some blocks for a NewFO instead of piecing.  The good news is that I'm beginning to see some "daylight" in my fabric storage cabinet--and definitely see that my cut scrappy squares have decreased!  I still have tubs of 5/6- to 10-yard cuts for backings--need to start working on those.  I should stop perusing Pinterest as I see so many pictures of quilts I would like to make.  I still have 2 quilt tops that are pieced but need backing/binding. 

 

The quilt top pictured below was completed before the end of 2013, but I didn't count it or show it (I didn't count some fabric purchased which would have cancelled out the yardage used in the quilt).  I just wanted to show all 4 of the scrappy quilt tops I have made--so here it is!

 And here is a picture of my Christmas present--a 7-spoke Singer Model 20 toy sewing machine.  

 

When I opened the gift, I told my husband "It doesn't have a bobbin!"  As I read about it, I discovered that it makes a chain stitch--pretty simple, very innovative!  So, if EMP causes the power grid to go down, I guess I can still sew!!  :-)

3 comments:

  1. What a bunch of great scrappy quilts! I think your no name quilt is called Arkansas Crossroads. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Do you know the name of the quilt I called "16-Patch/Pinwheel?" I can see the crossroad in the Arkansas Crossroads now--but also see that I should have had 2 alternating blocks. I found the picture I used as a pattern--it doesn't have the alternating blocks either--just wanted to check to see if I was losing it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete