Saturday, January 23, 2016

FABRIC STASH - WEEK 4, 2016 (1/24/16)

Used this Period: 10.75 yards
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  34.64 yards
Added Year to Date:  1.75 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2016:   32.89 yards

 

What a beautiful scene up on our mountain--all the trees have little puffs of snow on their branches.  Frequently they produce small avalanches as the weight becomes too heavy to support.  We have a weather advisory of 70% chance of snow through tomorrow.  Our road is getting narrower and the snow on the sides of the road is getting higher--I hope we continue to have cold weather so we don't have a "January melt."

 

Out of the frying pan into the fire--that's what happened to me this week!  I complained last week because the Delectable Mountains had so many seams to match--and then saw this site:

https://quiltaddict.com/hello-design-wall-you-are-a-lifesaver/ 

Since I have so many blues in my stash, I thought "Why not use some more blues and make that quilt?"  (I store my stash in a enclosed cabinet--and I think those "blues" are having too much fun behind the closed doors!  They seem to be multiplying just like dust bunnies!!)  I had forgotten that there was a reason I don't use this method to cut half-square triangles--bias edges!!  After I had made the first 3 blocks, I knew this quilt wouldn't be any larger than a twin-sized quilt--and reminded myself that I don't like working with bias edges.  This quilt had just as many seams to match, too!  Bias edges make it easy to match seams because they stretch; unfortunately, that doesn't do much for the squareness of the quilt!  But, seldom do I not finish something that is started so I blundered along.  (And blue is not my favorite color!)  The following picture shows the finished result--yep, twin-sized!  The good part was that I reduced the "blues"--now if I can just keep them from having so much "fun!"  I used 10.75 yards for the quilt, binding, and backing.


We had our first "recipe club" for 2016 at the Senior Center; this month it was soups.  I made Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Bisque, which we were introduced to at Yellowstone.  Only one small problem:  when I took the canned fire-roasted tomatoes from the pantry, I noticed that it was "salsa fire-roasted tomatoes."  No problem, I figured; when I make salsa from scratch, it isn't hot so I thought this just had onions, etc. added.  Wrong again!  When one of the ladies tasted the soup at our "tasting session," she said "Oh, this has a little kick to it."  After she said it a second time, I decided I'd better try it.  DH and I like it better without the "kick," but several of the ladies wanted to know where I got the salsa version of the fire-roasted tomatoes because they liked it!  Since I didn't know it was a salsa version, I'm not sure where I got it!!

 

5 comments:

  1. I adore the blue quilt. It has been added to my "bucket list"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on taming your blues, at least temporarily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about bias edges. Congrats on bringing this top to a finish. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your finish looks good. Hope those blues don't have too much fun and multiply into more after all your hard work. I'm not a fan of bias edges either.

    ReplyDelete