Saturday, January 16, 2016

FABRIC STASH - WEEK 3, 2016 (1/17/16)

Used this Period: 23.89 yards
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  23.89 yards
Added Year to Date:  1.75 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2016:   22.14 yards

 

What a productive week I've had--at least in the sewing room!  I started the "blues" Delectable Mountains quilt on Saturday and finished the backing on Wednesday of this week.  It is such an easy and fast pattern!  I was thinking "maybe I'll make one in Christmas fabrics"--and then I started putting all those blocks together.  Oh, my--every block had 8 seams that had to be matched, plus the seam connecting the blocks!  I do like the end result, but I don't think I'll make another one any time soon.  I know it reduced my stash, but there are still a lot of blues on that shelf.  It turned out larger than I was expecting--or maybe it just looks that way.  I still don't have a good place to hang quilts for pictures--as you can see!  I used 13 yards 29 inches in the quilt, backing, and binding.

 

Then I decided to get back to the basket holding my quilt panels--it still had 2 snowmen panels, a moose panel, and an applique panel for a Halloween quilt.  I finished the first snowman panel on Thursday, and the second panel on Friday.  I have to admit that the second panel didn't reach the same size as the first one--it will definitely be for a "little one."  I raided the Christmas stash for the backings--yea!!  Panel #1 used 6 yards 3 inches (quilt/backing/binding) and Panel #2 used 4 yards.  I will have some backing left over from the first panel and will use leftover backing for the binding on the second panel.  Done!!


  And a closeup of the panel:


I really dislike using a dishwasher--seems like such a waste for just 2 of us.  I guess I never really disliked doing dishes when I was growing up (we didn't have a dishwasher--it was just my sister and myself!).  Because we had so much company over the Christmas holidays, our dishwasher sprung a leak.  The repairman said the newer ones are made a bit differently so they shouldn't spring a leak (ours is only 10 years old and used very sparingly)--but he also said the expected life was only 13-14 years.  I told him we have had dishwashers in the past that were still going strong after 25 years, but he said that is no longer the case.  I think the reason I don't like to use it is because we have so few dishes and so you have to run it when it is only partially full.  He said he and his wife had 6 kids; and when they built their present house, they put in 2 dishwashers.  Apparently that is not uncommon.  The short story is...we are getting a new dishwasher.  And I will use it at least once a week--and grumble all the time I have to use it!

3 comments:

  1. I also like to wash dishes by hand but hate to dry and save them. DH hates dishes in the sink so he loads the dishwasher to "hide" the dishes. It runs about twice a week especially when DGD#5 is staying with us on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done quite well this week on using your fabric. I like the idea of finishing up some panels to get the numbers up. I'm sure I have some of those lurking in my closets too. Right now it's quilting overload that is tying me down. Too many tops waiting for their turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your dishwasher. I don't like to do dishes but that's what the kiddos are for. I don't know what I'm going to do when they grow up and move out. :) Great numbers! You had a productive week.

    ReplyDelete