Sunday, January 11, 2015

STASH REPORT - WEEK 2, 2015 (1/10/15)

Used this Period: 3 yards
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date: 3 yards 
Added Year to Date: 0 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2015:  3 yards

 

It's snowing, it's snowing!  These aren't our usual humongous flakes, but perhaps that will change as the day advances.  One of the does visited early this morning, and set off the motion-activated buzzer.  Our poor trees--they probably got another bad trim job!


I just finished reading Grisham's newest book, "Gray Mountain."  It was excellent, very well written.  I don't remember feeling that way about his previous novel.  Often it seems that even with good writers, latter novels are not as well written as earlier ones.  The push for "billable hours" that is expected of new hires (and it continues beyond the early years) and the number of hours expected to be devoted to achieving those billable hours in big law firms is a fact.  Big salaries if you are willing to put your life on hold.  I'm glad that my students who have gone into law careers did not choose big firms.


And on to what happened in the studio this past week.  I finished putting together the new baby quilt for the new grandson.  This is the second top I have pieced for him--I like it so much better than the previous one (which hasn't been quilted yet!).  The fabric was meant to be made into a book, but I made a quilt instead.  I have one word ("book") that needs to be covered (a heart or a leaf?) so it will read correctly.  I do not have the backing made or the binding, but will count the quilt top as I want to get some numbers up--I will count those when the quilting is completed.  I hope to get this quilted soon, so it can be mailed and used before he is 18!  The book panel was purchased in the last few days of 2014, the brown speckled fabric used to border the blocks and in the border and the blue sashing/border fabric are from stash.




I have also started setting the embroidered Playful Snowmen blocks--but will defer a picture until the top is completed.  That should mean 2 completions in January--wouldn't that be nice.  And I have started a simple crocheted afghan which should use that variegated yarn that called my name in the waning months of 2014.  And even tried Judy's pressure cooker recipe for pork chops--which is the same recipe I've used in the past.  Of course, my pressure cooker is a stove-top model--but I love it.  I think it originally belonged to my husband's great aunt.  And that sums up my week.

4 comments:

  1. Good start on the numbers. The quilt looks adorable. Can read and snuggle at the same time.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute "book quilt". I've seen quite a few would be books made into quilts and I definitely like them better that way. Good start with your numbers and 2 finishes for January would be great! Wish I could say the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea using a cloth book for a quilt. It is pretty cute. Busy week. Glad you were able to do a bit of everything that you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great numbers! That is the cutest baby quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete