Sunday, March 30, 2014

STASH REPORT - Week 13, 2014 (3/30/14)

Used this Period: 10 yards
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date: 81.64 yards
Added Year to Date: 30.47 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2014: 51.17 yards

 

Oh, yea--another finish!  This is a lap-size quilt (49x64), and it is the pig applique quilt that Sandi and I agreed would be our "quilt of the year."  Very easy with just a few pieces to blanket stitch around.  I almost quit after one block, but didn't feel I could since Sandi had hers nearly done.  The black background fabric that I had in my stash is very flimsy (not a good "hand") so I found some lightweight interfacing (how old was that?!) to back it.  In fact, I used 2 different brands and then had to use sew-in interfacing that I sprayed for 4 of the blocks!  I know that doesn't count for reducing stash--but it did make that drawer a bit emptier! 

 

I like the pigs better than I thought I would.  I ditched all the ideas I originally had (3D inner ear, crocheted spiral tail, button eye, pieced sashing and border, embroidering on each pig's body), so it is pretty plain--guess the quilting motifs will have to make up for the lack of piecing innovation.  I tried crocheting several different yarns/threads for the spiral tail, and they were all too bulky for the rest of the quilt, even the thin threads.  IF I were to make it again, I would replace about 4 of the pig fabric choices (the middle pig in the top row is a pale pink with white daisies, but you can't tell from the picture)--oh, well.  (I'm NOT going to make it again!)

And now on to other things.  Oh, by the way, the story on the dark fuchia pig is as follows: 


"My pigs have been very, very naughty--well, at least one of them.  The lady of the house was mixing dye as she wanted to hand-dye some muslin, and he (of course it was a "he") couldn't keep his snout out of the dye.  He thought his fellow pigs looked washed out, and that was not for him.  He actually jumped into the wash tub full of dye and rolled around in it.  And now he's preening in front of his fellow barnyard mates--because he looks so bright and PINK!"  (Oh, well--there's always a story behind my quilt aberrations...)  

 

I intended to make him facing the opposite direction but I was afraid I was going to run out of my fusible, so I drew the pig shapes on it to make sure I had enough (just barely!!)--and forgot to turn him the other way!  Talk about "the best laid plans..."!  Such a simple quilt, and it caused so many problems!!

 

I have now cut all the background blocks for the penguin quilt; I wanted to make sure that I had enough fabric as we will be going to the nearby city in about a week--not much left over!  I won't be able to count anything on that quilt for a long time since it is a BOM, and I only have the first 2 blocks downloaded.  I am excited about this quilt--but that is the way I always feel when I start a new quilt!  I just finished Block 1 (Saturday morning)--I'm in love!

5 comments:

  1. Both of your project are great. I love your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So frustrating when a quilt doesn't go as planned. Both quilts are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the cutest pigs and I love the story of the fushia one. Typical male ego. Your penquins are darling. What BOM is this from? Not that I can start another quilt, but they are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The penguins can be found at: http://fatcatpatterns.com/
    She has cute but simple patterns--I'm seriously considering buying her angels! Since it is only one block a month, I think I can find the time for another NewFO--how's that for rationalization?!

    ReplyDelete