Sunday, May 5, 2013

STASH REPORT - Week 18, 2013

Used this Week: 0 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  107.7 yards
Added Year to Date: 1.5 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2013: 106.2 yards

 

Not a very inspiring report this week--no yardage used!  I read a couple of fiction books from the library, did some laundry, was out-and-about a bit--and I did get some sewing done but nothing I could countI finally got started on what I shall call my S/P (Sandi/Pat) annual challenge quilt on which I was doing a lot of thinking but not much sewing.  I still couldn't find any large amount of the blue/silver Christmas fabric, but I did find about 5 squares that are 4.5 inches (enough to use for small areas of applique).  And I found small amounts of a couple of blues that I can use.  And I found almost 4 yards of white with silver sparkly trees scattered around.  And decided that this would be a perfect opportunity to use it on a quilt that will probably only be used during the Christmas season.  Will the sparkles stay through laundering?  I don't know--but if they don't, it will just be a white background.

 

So, finally on Friday I went downstairs to see how my idea for the "snowballs" would work.  I was doing one of the fabric manipulation things to give them some texture--and making them larger as I want a full-size quilt--and now I have 2 strips with 8 "snowballs" each!  I'm still debating whether I want to use some blue "stars" on each to tack them down a bit more (using decorative stitches).  I'll probably decide that when I blanket stitch around some of the blocks (on my Viking Diamond).  On Saturday, I assembled 2 more blocks for machine applique.  Today or tomorrow I will make a couple of the pieced blocks with the blues I pulled last week--I'm finally getting something done!  I can't count any of the fabric yet--but at some point the BOM and this challenge quilt will give my usage numbers a boost.


This will be a very short week as I'm going to HMQS in Salt Lake City--taking a few classes, oohing & aahing over many beautiful quilts, getting inspired! 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. There is a significant portion of making projects that takes planning, sounds like all you did this week on that front will pay off later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got some blue/silver fabrics from a leftover project. If you are interested let me know. I'll share my website where you can see the quilt I made with the fabrics. Anxious to see what your project ends up looking like. As for the sparkles staying in after washing...I usually don't wash my quilts so I can't say. I do see lots of sparkles on the fabrics when they are in bolts at the LQS sitting next to ones that have them. Might be a hint there. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very nice of you! I think I will be all right with what I have. I decided to put some blue in every block and the little bits I have are great for hatbands, scarves, flower petals, etc. The larger pieces will be used for the pieced blocks. I just "crinkled" some of the white/silver trees fabric for my snowman and really like the way it turned out. Do you have your quilts dry-cleaned? I used to have my cotton dresses dry-cleaned--they stayed nice for so much longer. I really appreciate your offer.

      Delete