Sunday, May 12, 2013

STASH REPORT - Week 19, 2013

Used this Week: 0 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  107.7 yards
Added Year to Date: 1.5 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2013: 106.2 yards

 

If my numbers this week look like my numbers last week--that's because they are the same!  Nothing done except sewing the "snowball" blocks to the snowman block--and still pondering about the other block I have almost done.  Plus thinking that I really don't like the snowflake block and wondering if I can just cut my own (didn't we do that in grade school?).  And then I started wondering if the snowball blocks had too much texture to balance with the remainder of the quilt.  Really, I'm not usually so indecisive!  I'll get back to doing a few blocks this next week, I promise (myself!).

 

I had a nice time at HMQS--very informative, very uplifting.  All my classes were good, and I came away from them knowing I can tackle that huge stack of LA-UFOs.  One instructor said there are 2 important things to improve your longarming skills: 1) quilt every day, even if it's only for 10 minutes; 2) don't be afraid to try new things.  She is so right!  I used to be much more "daring" in trying new things.  When I got my first longarm, I had no fear:  trapunto--bring it on; feathers--why not; SID--piece of cake!  My first feathers--well, that's a story in itself!  I had just put together blocks for one of those $5 sampler quilts (you know--if you complete the block each month, you get the next block free of charge), and I thought it was pretty ugly.  The shop owner substituted some pretty cheap ugly inexpensive fabric in a lot of the blocks, and then I made it worse by picking border fabric from my stash that was much too light to make the blocks look better.  I put my first feathers on that quilt, thinking I couldn't make it much worse than it already was--WRONG!  Those feathers were pretty bad!  And they didn't make me love the quilt any more--just increased my dislike for it.  I was taking some items down to the thrift store and decided they would be the recipient of my ugly quilt.  I put it in a plastic bag you couldn't see through just to be safe--no way did I want anyone to associate me with that quilt!  When I realized that I had not taken that bag in with the others, I went back out to get it.  I handed it to the receiving lady and rushed back to the door.  Egads, she opened the bag, looked in, and said "Oh, what a beautiful quilt! Did you make it?"  I should just have kept on walking, but didn't want to be impolite--so I said yes.  She said, "Oh, we'll have to put this in with our special items."  Oh, dear--thankfully I escaped before she could ask my name.  I've wondered for years who got that ugly quilt!  (And, yes, my feathers have improved considerably!)

 

It was a nice show--but it's always nice to get back home!  The grass is "lush" (interpret that as needing mowed), the trees are leafing out, my tulips are about to pop open--yes, it's good to be home again!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your quilting story. Now I don't feel to bad that I have a story almost the same. What great numbers.

    ReplyDelete