Thursday, May 31, 2012

UFO #2 (May) - DONE

Oh, how I love this quilt!  It has been on my bucket list for a long time, but I may have created a monster as I want to do some more Log Cabin quilts.  I looked at many quilt galleries and decided to do a center "star" layout--this was after I had made a few blocks.  I decided to use more dark blues in the 4 center blocks--then decided I didn't like them.  I finally pieced them in the backing; I don't usually make pieced backings but this quilt "grew like the house Jack built," and I was cutting it close on having enough backing fabric.  (I should have taken a picture of the backing fabric because it looks like a watercolor picture in blues.)  Anyway, using those four blocks means I don't have leftover blocks, and that is good! 

The quilt is 90x90--too large to get the top in the picture.  It sort of looks like a giant X in the picture, but I don't really see the X when I look at it on a bed.  I will be quilting with feathers in the blues, and will use the quilting to make the star and corner pieces stand out.  Anyway, the quilt now resides in the Longarm UFO stack, with the backing and binding, just waiting for the longarm quilter (ME!).

In the meantime, I quilted my first T-shirt quilt for a friend--Carol and her daughter did an excellent job in preparation and piecing, so it was easy to quilt.  It was presented to the granddaughter at her graduation from high school yesterday.  Unfortunately, it added another "to do" on my list; I still have my son's T-shirts and think I will surprise him with a quilt--which would be better than keeping them stored in a box!

I love the blue/yellow combination--and think my next log cabin will have to be blue/yellow or blue/yellow/green blocks.  I do have a Christmas Baltimore Album quilt (Longarm UFO stack!) in blues and greens that I really love.

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Love the color combo and the unique setting--I don't think I've seen that one. Congratulations on your finished top!

    ReplyDelete