Sunday, January 5, 2020

Week 1 (1/1-4/2020)

Used this Period: 0 yards 

Added this Period: 15 yards

Used Year-to-Date:  0 yards
Added Year-to-Date:  15 yards

Net Stash Increase for 2020:   +15 yards


What a week!  After not accomplishing much for 2018 and 2019 (2 knee replacements slowed me down!), I have started 2020 out right!  There are 3 of us working on UFO/NewFO lists--and maybe 1 more if she gets her machine repaired.  The number for January is No. 1 (how appropriate!).  It is one of only 2 UFOs on my list--a scrappy string quilt.  Even though I usually lose interest when I'm ready to assemble a quilt, I almost always make myself finish before starting another project (probably because I know that if I don't, I won't finish it ever)--therefore, most of my list is comprised of NewFOs.  I had 4-5 blocks of a scrappy string quilt started and have lots of "strings" saved.  When I had all the blocks made for the quilt, I couldn't find any fabric in my stash to use as the background fabric behind the Sawtooth Star--so, what would any enterprising person do--start a second quilt!  So now I will have 2 scrappy string quilts made for January--and a real reduction in the "strings" that have been saved (but still too many!).  

This necessitated a visit to the nearby hardware store (which has a fabric department) in the next little incorporated town.  (Not all of the villages in the Valley are incorporated.)  Not knowing just how much fabric I would need since this was a spur of the moment trip, I decided to get 3 yards of 2 different solid colors of cotton for the 2 quilts.  Mistake--I will have enough of 1 color for both quilts since I don't think I will be putting borders on either quilt.  At the same time, I got 3 yards of lavender for my next Sally King shoe quilt (BFC Creations).  It will be either a double or triple Irish Chain.  I have 19 shoes to embroider and have told myself I will not be tempted if she digitizes any more shoes--will not!  This will be either my 4th or 5th "shoe" quilt.  If you look at the embroidered shoe designs on the BFC site, you will see why I am always tempted beyond my self control!  She has such unique ideas and exquisite detail!  Then as I was browsing the sale fabric, I found a gold fabric with feathers--only $4.99/yard.  I couldn't resist!  You can see what that little trip did to my stash numbers--they're going the wrong way!!

I'm going to estimate yardage for the string quilts--low estimate but it will make the stash numbers look better.  I will be able to count yardage used next week since both quilts should be finished (pieced) by then.  I have half of the first quilt assembled now, so it should be an easy finish.  So, until next week...



No comments:

Post a Comment