Sunday, May 14, 2017

FABRIC STASH - WEEK 19, 2017 (5/14/17)

Used this Period: 5.7 yards 
Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  88.23 yards
Added Year to Date:  22.38 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2017:   65.85 yards

 

A finish on a quilt top--the 3rd ugly quilt top to come from my studio over the years!  Lesson learned:  Don't forego buying fabric if nothing in your stash is right for the quilt you are making!  

 

Several things went wrong with this quilt:  1) the background fabric needed to be a neutral; 2) OR if using this background fabric, I should have made all the spirals out of the same fabric--probably a pink that was darker than the pink in the background fabric; 3) OR if using this background fabric, all the spirals should have been done in bold, bright colors.  I think any of these would have made the quilt nice.  Alas, I'm very disappointed!  In fact, I really had to make myself finish it after I saw how it was turning out--and then sewed seams as fast as I could!  (The seams match surprisingly well for the speed and lack of care that I was taking!)  DH commented on the fact that 3 of the background squares were going in the opposite direction of the other 9--he was right!  (Am I ripping it out?  NO!)  He didn't notice that I ran out of the background fabric and had to substitute another fabric in the top and bottom rows.  Overall, I think maybe I need to take a break from quilting--it makes no sense to make a quilt just to use stash.  Anyway, I will make binding and backing tomorrow and use this quilt to practice longarming--and then donate it (in the dead of the night so no one knows it was made by me!).   

1 comment:

  1. You are really beating yourself up! Someone will love that quilt to pieces. You can always send it to my DH. He loves quilts no matter color or style b/c someone worked hard to make it.

    ReplyDelete