Sunday, June 30, 2013

STASH REPORT - Week 26, 2013

Used this Week: 0 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  107.7 yards
Added Year to Date: 1.5 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2013: 106.2 yards

 

Nothing to report--again!  I think this will change next week--I will be assembling the Sandi-Pat challenge quilt for 2013!  It is currently laid out on the floor as I'm making a decision about sashing.  I think our next challenge quilt will have to be different as we're both tired of appliquing a myriad of small pieces.  When we talked the other day, Sandi did ask me if I had followed the pattern on any of it!!  We both changed one of the pieced blocks that appears twice in the quilt.  And she knows how my "storyboards" will often eliminate some of the more tedious applique.  A few years back our challenge was a BOM and the September block included a schoolbus with a driver and 3 children appearing in the windows.  Sandi's block contained all the people--however, my block only showed the driver because "the children had already gotten off the bus and entered the school building."  I think I made at least a third of the blocks of this quilt similar to the original pattern--with a few variations like the storyboard mentioned above.

 

In the meantime, I pulled out a container of 2.5-inch square scraps and started making a scrappy quilt--just couldn't wait!  I finished embroidering all the small towels I had in my to-do basket (picture shown), so I did accomplish a bit this week.  That task has been waiting for me for a few years.  


And I made a good piecrust!!  That has been on my bucket list for several years.  Ellen, who is one of our wonderful cooks at the Senior Center, gave a few of us a short lesson on making piecrusts a couple of months ago.  This is my third attempt, and I finally got it right!  Now I'll have to make another one just to see if this was a fluke!  Anyway, my sister (who has been making piecrusts forever) always says that the ability to make a good piecrust is the mark of a good baker/cook.  I have always resorted to the cooler in the grocery store for my piecrusts--now, maybe I can join the rank of "good cooks."


We went to Brenthoven's, a gourmet restaurant/B&B that is tucked away on the outskirts of our little community, with friends for dinner last night.  What a great evening!  It has been family operated since 1949, and is only open 4 months a year as the owners spend time in New Zealand.  The pumpkin bisque is superb--I could make an entire meal of the pumpkin bisque and freshly-baked bread!  The Cod Parmesan is another staple of the menu that is simply outstanding. 




 

And that was my week in review.  Happy stashbusting!

2 comments:

  1. Nice needle work on your towels. It is so nice to finish something that you've had on the burner for awhile. Your sister is indeed right about making a pie crust! Congratulations ~ what did you fill the crust with? I enjoy anything pumpkin. Can't say I've ever had it in a bisque. Yum! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used apples for the filling--made 8 small individual pies. Next will be cherry pies! :-)

      Delete