Sunday, June 23, 2013

STASH REPORT - Week 25, 2013

Used this Week: 0 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  107.7 yards
Added Year to Date: 1.5 yards 

Net Stash Decrease for 2013: 106.2 yards

 

Oh, where did those 2 weeks go?!  No blogging, no stash busting, no time spent in front of the sewing or quilting machines!  Nothing to report on a stash-busting site. 

 

We drove down to the far corner of the State one week/weekend--looked at a few houses and spent an afternoon with relatives who had driven up from Colorado.  Didn't find any houses that we fell in love with, so we won't be spending time closer to relatives any time soon.  It was good to visit with nephews (plus wife & fiancee), brothers- and sister-in-law.  I really would like to live closer so we could share more time together--if it happens, it will be good.  Otherwise, we'll continue to let our "fingers do the walkin'."  We visited Rose's Lariat in Rawlins, WY on the recommendation of a friend--the Mexican food was delicious.  We'll stop there again when we are in the vicinity!

 

We went to a few garage/moving sales last Friday (before getting ill that afternoon--a continuing saga of health issues).  Unfortunately, my "mother" came out in me and I brought several dishes home.  My mother loved pretty dishes--having been a newly-wed during the Depression, in her later years she surrounded herself with "pretty dishes" and took great pleasure in looking at them and using them.  I could not resist the siren call of beautiful pieces marked $1 and $2!  I only wish she were alive so I could give them to her!  Anyway, I often make birthday cakes for the seniors in our little town--they always look like they have fallen in the middle because I put them on a regular dinner plate.  So, while we were in Cheyenne, I bought a cake plate at GoodWill for $2.  Then there was a cake plate at the moving sale (the couple had sold their resort home and are going to reside in southern Utah full-time)--and it was only marked $1--so it came home with me, with about 12 other pieces of glassware!  You know what came next--I had to find a place to put all of those pretty dishes so it was time to clean/organize my cabinets.  In doing so, I found 2 other cake plates that I had forgotten I had--I think one of them was my mother's.  So now I need to bake a cake--after all, I have 4 cake plates to choose from!

 

And, as if that was not enough, I was trying to do a mini-organization in the pantry and spilled a package of bread cubes--which necessitated a major cleaning of the pantry.  I'll probably never find anything again--which is usually what happens when I reorganize.  

 

But, in between episodes in the kitchen, I did get down to my sewing studio for short bouts of stitching.  The current annual Sandi-Pat quilting project is a bit nearer completion.  I might even have fabric I can count as used by next week!!  It is interesting that neither Sandi nor I liked one of the blocks in the pattern, and we both substituted for that block!  There were other blocks I wasn't enthralled by, so my quilt will really be different--in fact, I'm not sure anyone would recognize the original pattern!  I have 2 applique blocks that are ready for fusing onto the background and then 2 more blocks that I am going to incorporate machine embroidery into--then it will be ready to assemble and add borders.  I may be a little ambitious in thinking I will finish by the next stash report--there's still quite a bit left to do.  I am trying to incorporate as much texture into the quilt as possible, so I used a cording foot to make the cuffs on the mittens--I really like the effect.  I made 3D pinwheels for the block neither Sandi nor I liked.  I'm so ready for this quilt to be done!!  Sandi has her quilt completed and quilted--and she doesn't like it!  She showed it to her quilting group and they loved it!  I was sure they would after looking at the picture she sent me.  The same thing happened when we did the Elepinks by Nancy Barrett--she got so many compliments on it that she also likes it!

 

I need to get some more work done on my flower beds and on the "thicket" that provides privacy from the neighboring cabin.  And we plan to get some more trees from a friend (who has them coming up volunteer) to plant on the perimeter of the yard--perhaps this week.  My DH's garden/green houses are looking good, but require care (by him, thank goodness).  And I need to get a cake made so I can choose among the 4 cake plates!!

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing when I organize...think I am doing so well, then can not find a thing!

    ReplyDelete