Wednesday, February 29, 2012

UFO #1 (Feb.) - DONE

First February quilt
 This was my first quilt with the paperdoll fabric.  I used 2.5-inch squares from my scraps container for the sashing and appliqued all edges with a machine blanket stitch.  Then, just because, I used decorative stitches on each piece.  I have one "block" that is slightly smaller that I plan to make into a pillow, but will wait until I quilt this as I have 2 backing fabrics pulled from my stash and am not sure which one I want to use.
Too many leftover paperdolls/clothes--second February quilt

Second "envelope" almost done--will be buttoned to back of quilt

Well, I had too much fabric left, so I decided to make another quilt.  This one is larger, about 70x90.  The pinks don't show up well in the picture--they're much prettier than they look.  I don't usually work from the center out, but I did on this quilt because I was working from a picture I had downloaded from the internet.  It went together easily--and I used more clothes!  I decided to make a coordinating "envelope" pillow to attach to the back of the quilt so I could slip a couple of dolls with their clothes inside for the granddaughters.  Unfortunately, the dolls were larger than the envelope--so it became a separate pillow instead!  It is ready for the pillow form to be slipped inside.  Another quilt in the longarm UFO stack!

And then I decided I would make a larger envelope which I will button on the back of the second quilt--large enough for 2 dolls with clothing!  It's almost done.  You can see the color of the pinks better here--the printed pink is the backing for the quilt.  I have only 2 dolls that had multiple pieces of clothing that "fit" without showing part of the doll underneath on the sides or bottoms.  I still have to fuse the dolls to felt and then decide how to get the clothing to stay on the doll--waiting for a trip to a fabric store in the nearest big town.

So, on to the next UFO Challenge!  I'm glad to have finally used the paperdoll fabric. 

4 comments: