Sunday, July 16, 2017

FABRIC STASH - WEEK 23-28, 2017 (6/11-7/16/17)

cUsed this Period: 8.6 yards Added this Period: 0 yards

Used year to Date:  112.61 yards
Added Year to Date:  22.38 yards

Net Stash Decrease for 2017:   90.23 yards


Where to start?!  It has been a busy month everywhere except in the quilting studio.  I had blocks made for a second May quilt by the middle of May--and went into a quilting funk so those 20 blocks just sat on my machine.  I cleaned house and child-proofed it for the visit of the grands, and baked and cooked in preparation for their visit.  They arrived on the 26th of June--and my quiet life became controlled chaos!  Had a dinner for friends who like to spend time with them whenever they are here one night, which was fun but hectic.  Then on Thursday of that week, DH's sister and brother-in-law arrived for a visit, making a houseful!  DS and his wife weeded one flower bed each of the Snow on the Mountain which was taking over.  That really helped--by spending a bit of time each week, I should be on my way to eradicating that pesky plant.  Mountain Man Days was occurring while they were here, which gave extra things for the grands to participate in.  It was a whirlwind visit as they were on their way to relocate to Colorado on a military recall.  On Monday morning, we waved goodby to DS & family and to DH's sister & husband--and then it seemed very, very quiet!  DS & family cleaned the downstairs, washed bed linens, etc. before they left, which is so helpful (I move slower than I used to!).


On the Monday DS and family arrived, I had a doctor's visit to consult on my knee which has been bothering me for some time.  X-rays were taken and read, and the orthopedic doctor informed me that a replacement is in my future.  We settled on a cortisone shot to get me through the summer.  I'm trying to ignore it--we'll see how long that lasts.


The house is all in order until I do the wood floors upstairs in the fall.  My quilting studio is a mess.  The 4th of July saw us in the short parade down main street.  Then we went on a historical tour of nearby trails used by early settlers, which was very interesting.  Especially interesting are the salt ponds which are still active and being used.  There are theories that these are leftovers from the Great Salt Lake (when it occupied part of Wyoming centuries ago).  The salt was very white--and very pure!  We realized that our forefathers were quite tough and resilient!


Then last Sunday we attended Mass outside of Daniel, on the site of the first Catholic Mass in Wyoming which was celebrated by Father DeSmet on July 5, 1840.  The monument memorializing this event is on a flat bluff overlooking the valley below--a beautiful outlook showing meandering streams and productive fields.  The Bishop of Wyoming (newly appointed to our diocese) celebrated Mass; there were about 200 of us in attendance.  This was the first time we've gone although we've talked about it quite often since becoming Wyoming residents.  After Mass, there was a potluck picnic held at the community center in Daniel; the Knights of Columbus from Pinedale cooked burgers/brats and there were 2 long tables (several tables put together end to end) containing salads and desserts.  The hamburgers were exceptional--and I got the secret to their success!  It was a wonderful day and a wonderful celebration!


So, on Tuesday, I finally went downstairs and put together that half Log Cabin that I started back in May.  I guess it serves as my June quilt!  Since it is made from the leftovers from another quilt, it is not large.  The finished size is 63 x 75.  





No comments:

Post a Comment