Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March NewFOs

March has come and will be gone in one day--it went so fast!  I have a little bit to show this month, but no quilt.  I have finally started to conquer my Epic2 sewing machine.  I feel I've made some real progress this month but have a long way to go before I'm really comfortable with it.  So I took a class at my sewing machine shop in Idaho Falls for Embroidery Users.  It is free for those of us who bought our machines there.  What was interesting is that there was one user with a Pfaff, myself with the top-of-the-line Viking, and the other 7 ladies all had Brothers! One lady had a top-of-the-line Brother and had a good knowledge base for her machine.  Anyway Francine provided each of us with a 1MB flash drive, a FSL basket pattern, stabilizer, etc.  I used the shop Epic2.  It was interesting--not something I would ever choose to do on my own, but a good learning experience.  Francine likes FSL designs---I think they are fiddly!  Our homework was to finish the basket (4 sides, a bottom, and a handle).  She also gave us a FSL pattern for little "sewing machine" earrings. I finished the basket and earrings and washed out the water soluble stabilizer--and today I put the basket together.

I have an Epic2 class tomorrow.  I think there willl be 2 of us.  I'm looking forward to this class and have written down a lot of questions, which is what Francine wanted us to do.  She said we can have as many classes as we want.

I had paid for a virtual learning class for the Epic2 embroidery side.  It is presented on-line, uses Anita Goldstein designs and procedures, and makes a wallhanging.  I had hoped that it would guide me step-by-step in doing embroidery on my machine (there are different segments for Berninas and Vikings), but they assume you know the basics of your machine.  Believe me, I can thread my Epic2, wind bobbins, etc. with ease now!  Anyway, I need to make 3 more blocks, a zipper purse, and then put my wallhanging together---and then I'm done with the course!  I'll finish that in April.  I have never purchased Anita Goodstein's designs; they're really not my "thing."  I like making embroidery for quilt blocks or to put on shirts, etc.  But I'm glad I purchased the course "Embroidery Essentials" and have become more comfortable with my machine.  I willl probably purchase 2 more of the courses.  The lady who does them has a quilt/sewing shop.

My Viking Designer Diamond was several new machines back and that is why my learning curve is high.  My biggest hurdle is navigating the menus.  By the end of this year I will be up to speed.  Right now I can hardly wait to start my Christmas tree embroidery for a quilt!

The other thing I finished was a Janet Powers counted X-stitch---irises.  I had made it one time many years ago and gave it to Mike for his house.  I love it and have wanted to make it again for a long time--decided this was the month.  I cannot believe how she blends the different colors.  Her designs are based on water colors, and she is excellent.  When you are up close, you see lots of individual colors but when you stand back, the colors blend and look like a real iris!  Love it!



And that's my month of March!

No comments:

Post a Comment